Monday, January 08, 2007

Wolves Updates 1/8

Steve Aschburner/Star Tribune on yesterday's game:
It was 95-94 with 90 seconds left when Garnett, out of a pick-and-roll, found Mark Blount down low. The Wolves center scored and got fouled, with Garnett barking toward his team's bench...

"I was saying on how well I think I can coach," Garnett said afterward. "I said, 'I can be a coach in this league. That was a good play.' I [had] looked at Case and said, 'Let me call some of the plays.' And he gave me the go-ahead. I was just hyped off that."

"Case obviously calls the plays," Garnett said. "But when I see something, he's very good at letting me have the leeway. As long as I communicate it with him and the four guys on the floor, he doesn't care. Just as long as everybody's on the same page."


Garnett after the win:
"Even when we were losing some games, our team still had confidence. I don't think this team lacks any kind of confidence. We definitely have a swagger about ourselves. I think it's being consistent with the things we know we can do well. Right now I feel our defense is what we do well. For the most part, we're still trying to create our identity. A win is a win. We'll take it."


From Sid Hartman:
Coach Dwane Casey isn't ready to describe his team as a contender for the NBA title, but he believes the players are performing better because they are getting used to each other.

The Wolves are going to do more extensive scouting in Europe this year, with a good crop of players available. Assistant General Manager Fred Hoiberg will head to Europe in the near future to scout a big tournament there.


Mad Dog says he'd rather be elbowed by Dikembe Mutombo than Shaq.


Jim Souhan/Star Tribune believes that if Mike James "can find his shot and his game, the rest of Casey's rotation looks formidable enough to nudge the Wolves into the playoffs."


The Houston Chronicle hoops blog wonders what Eddie Griffin "could have been."