Thursday, April 20, 2006

McHale's Staying

In a press conference earlier today, Kevin McHale announced that he was indeed going to remain with the organization.
"I said, 'Glen, this is not the way I want to leave the Timberwolves, a 33-win season,'" McHale said. "I'm coming back and I'm really excited about getting this team back online."

"It was a very frustrating year, a very bad year for us," McHale said. "I'm in charge of the basketball department, so everything that happened is on me. The bad year was my fault, and we've got to go out there and try to improve this team.

"The buck stops with me. There are absolutely no excuses for anything. I wish we had had a lot better year."

McHale also added that Casey is coming back next season and said "Oh, and by the way, Kevin Garnett is staying here."


Click here for an interview with owner Glen Taylor from the Timberwolves site.

Sid Hartman writes that Taylor would be into getting Marbury back in Minnesota and that "if Kevin McHale could find a way to add a great player to complement Kevin Garnett (not somebody with Marbury's type of contract), he would spend the money to make it happen."

Dwane Casey on what went wrong and what he'll do differently next season.

TNT analyst Reggie Miller on Garnett and the Timberwolves: "If I'm [Wolves VP of basketball operations] Kevin McHale, I'd do Kevin Garnett a favor and trade him. He's done everything for your franchise, and he's never come out publicly and said that he wants to be traded, but [Garnett] needs to be on a winner and I don't see him winning any time soon."

Maybe this is why the season sucked:
Three Timberwolves players, including Wally Szczerbiak, regularly attended chapel gatherings before Target Center games this season. After Szczerbiak was traded to Boston on Jan. 26, no more Wolves players attended chapel.