Friday, April 14, 2006

League Officials Not Concerned Wolves Throwing Games. That's Probably Because We Keep Winning.

The NBA is not concerned with the absence of both Garnett and Davis in terms of the Wolves throwing off the "competitive balance" within the league:
"It hadn't been a concern, and we understand that players get rested and it would be my preference to have teams show the fans a certain number of players," (Commissioner) Stern said during a pre-playoff conference call with the media. "But I was thinking about this in the context of the Denver football team when they were getting ready for the playoffs in the NFL, and who they decided to play and not play. I think all sports have that issue, but I have no particular concern about it with the way our teams have been behaving."

"I think our view has always been we expect teams to try and win games, and if a player is not injured, you are supposed to play him," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said. "And from everything I have heard, these players are legitimately hurt. I think we ought to look at whether and how we allow trades to be made in the future. That is really the issue. But I don't think we have any particular problem with Minnesota right now. But it may be the same reason we have a lottery now is to give teams that don't win games a better percentage in the lottery."


Steve Aschburner has a piece on Marko Jaric in the Strib today.
"Definitely this is very disappointing," Jaric said. "Definitely not the way I expected my season to go and this team's season to go.
"I'm trying to forget. I'm trying to look forward."


The Wolves face the Pacers in Indiana tonight.