Thursday, April 20, 2006

If You Don't Let It Go, You Never Know

I don't know what's funnier. Seeing Mad Dog attempt (and of course miss) 7 three-pointers or watching the Grizzlies bench doubled over in laughter in reaction to those attempts in last night's double ot loss to Memphis.

"That was all in fun," said Casey, who admitted he drew up a couple of plays for Madsen to shoot jumpers. "I didn't want to mess with the game. But guys were over there joking about him shooting the threes. I didn't mean for him to shoot seven, but like I told him, he was open for a reason."

"You know what got into me? He [coach Dwane Casey] drew up a play for me, and they started sagging off," Madsen explained. "So I thought, you know what? I'm going to be aggressive. Greg Foster, my teammate in L.A., told me once, 'If you don't let it go, you never know.' "

"We were fortunate," the Grizzlies forward (Brian Cardinal) said dryly. "Mark Madsen wasn't 'on' tonight."

For his role in last night's game, Mad Dog "The Dance Party" was deemed yesterday's worst by ESPN's Daily Dime.

While Casey said Mad Dog and the team deserved to have some fun in their season finale, Britt Robson/City Pages Sports blog thinks Wednesday's game was a disgrace.
If you thought the 2005-06 Minnesota Timberwolves couldn't sink any lower, well, the franchise saved the worst for last in tonight's game, purposefully losing to the Memphis Grizzlies in order to secure a draft pick rather than risk having it sent to Los Angeles because of the ineptitude of their braintrust.