Saturday, February 17, 2007

Garnett on asking for a trade

Marc Stein/ESPN has part of a Friday afternoon interview with Garnett.

Garnett on why he hasn't heeded external suggestions to ask Minnesota to trade him:

"It sounds like people want better for me. And my perspective is, why do I have to be the component that's moved? Why can't organizations change? ... Why can't things change in the front office to bring in different people to better it?

"I've seen players move on and go to other situations and it just be a stalemate. ... If I did decide to make a decision on moving or whatever, I'm going to make sure that it's going to be for the better. I'm not into inheriting someone's problems or going through the same problems [elsewhere] that I'm used to [in Minnesota]. Plus, man, I have hope. I'm not one of these people who just up and bail when things are tough.

"I'll take your hits. I'll take your comments. I'll take what you put out there because obviously you have a job to do. ... But I won't compromise my values. When I feel like it's time to make a decision on moving, then I will. But it will be on my terms and when I feel I'm ready."