Sunday, January 14, 2007

McHale disputes reports on Jaric and Garnett

From Steve Aschburner/Star Tribune:
Timberwolves Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale disputed a published report Sunday that guard Marko Jaric last week had asked to be traded in a meeting with owner Glen Taylor...

"I wasn't in the meeting," McHale said Sunday. "I'm sure if something happened, Glen would have shared it with me, if it had been something along those lines."What we discussed should stay between me and him," Jaric said in a phone interview. "We're winning, and the last thing we need is something like that circling over the team. Even if I'm happy or I'm unhappy, I would never be that type of player."


Asked if he would prefer to play elsewhere, Jaric said, "I don't want to talk about that in public."


McHale also had the following to say about the New York Daily News item regarding the team having fielded offers for Garnett:
"There's not a 'source' in Minnesota," said McHale, visibly irritated. "I'm the guy who does all the phone calling. So that's not true."
He went on to question what passes for sports journalism these days.