Monday, July 03, 2006

Paul Shirley On Wolves Summer League Roster

Not by choice, I spent much of the night hearing the seriously outdated music of Candlebox filter into my office because the band was playing at my place of work. I didn't care enough to find out why they were attempting a comeback and apparently, neither did their old fanbase (Attention promoters: If you book them, it will tank). I just assumed it was because of the ridiculous sum of money they're being paid and/or their love for playing music.

I was looking at the Wolves summer league roster and my heart skipped a beat when I saw Paul Shirley listed. After signing a book deal, playing for unknown basketball teams, and being involved with a tv pilot that wasn't picked up, he's trying to return to the NBA. He writes about this in his most recent blog post for ESPN:

For now, it makes me happy to play basketball. Admitting that scares me greatly. I don't know what I will do when my career is over. I can't imagine that a few more years of career instability is going to contribute to any emotional stability. But, hopefully I can make enough now to pay for the Zoloft I'll need later.

Yes, Shirley sucks at hoops like Candlebox sucks at making music.
Yes, both have inspired too many talentless dudes to pick up balls and guitars so that they, too, can achieve some level of fame and fortune.
Yes, I do have a huge crush on Paul Shirley.

Still, it would be nothing but good times for basketball fans if he were to be picked up so they could again read about his experiences with an NBA team. The Wolves aren't going to be stellar regardless of any moves made before the season so the team should just sign him for the sarcastic, witty, personable element he can bring to the Target Center. Please.