Sunday, February 26, 2006

Wolves Over The Weekend

"In my younger days, I'd get all riled up on a couple of plays, and then have nothing come the second half," Garnett said last week. "I learned to channel my energy in different ways. I still curse. I just don't cuss to the kids in the front row no more, you know?"

"He used to talk to me, `Keep your head up,' " Clippers forward Elton Brand said last week. "Keep working hard and hopefully your team will come around.' Now ... I know what he's going through."

Before the NBA trade deadline last Thursday, only one team asked about Garnett and that was to find out if the media rumors about his status were true.

Garnett's agent Andy Miller on recent trade rumors regarding Knicks:
"Kevin has never indicated to me anything other than wanting to remain in Minnesota," Miller said over the telephone. "I think everyone is jumping to conclusions."



Insiders say the Timberwolves' billionaire owner plans to spend whatever it takes, even far over the salary cap, this summer to make the team a contender next season.

Taylor on McHale:
"Until I find somebody better than McHale, he will run the show," Taylor said. "People forget how bad this team was when he took over. So far, nobody better has appeared."

McHale on the team's record:
"We've been in a ton of games. We just haven't found a way of sustaining any way of winning games consistently," McHale said. "I looked at it the other day, within the last six minutes of games, in 44 of the 53, we've been within four points or ahead. We just have to find a way to close games out."

Jaric made his first appearance in five games on Friday night against Denver:
"It was a good return," Casey said. "The key thing is he got his passion back. He wasn't just out there going through the motions."

Fred Hoiberg played a 4-on-4 halfcourt game after the Wolves practiced on Saturday. Still, he says that he won't make a comeback if there's any risk involved given that he has a pacemaker. In completely unrelated news, Hoiberg's also sold some Twolves cars from his dealership in Ames, IA.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, with the approval of assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, has mentioned possibly acquiring Sprewell.