Friday, July 21, 2006

Mike James Party

Because I had friends who were able to get us in for free and it was only a few blocks away, my friends and I decided to go to "The Official Mike James Premiere Party" last night.

The flier said the event started at 9pm and urged you to get there early. We got there at 10:30pm or so to a crowd of 30 people, none of whom was Mike James. Of those people, about 7 knew who the player was and only 3 of them were at the club to meet him.

After sitting there for a couple hours drinking expensive drinks, seeing a bouncer get punched in the face, enduring forced conversation with a self-proclaimed psychic, and being told by the worried looking promoters from the moment we got there that "he was on his way", James rolled in around 12:30am.

The press release on the site made sure to mention that there was a "strict dress code" of no hats and no white sneakers. James walked in wearing a Yankees cap and pristine white sneakers and sat at the so-called VIP table that came complete with a security person.

I walked up to the security dude right away and asked him politely but firmly to let me in to say hi to James so I could leave and was granted access right away. I sat down next to James, said "welcome to the team" and we started chatting for about the next 20 minutes. An owner type tried to kick me out halfway through our conversation but James wouldn't let him.

I asked him about Jeff Van Gundy coming to his house to get him to sign with the Rockets and James said, "That stuff don't impress me."

I also brought up the KFAN interview how amusing it was. His response was that "last year everybody thought I was arrogant. Now they think I'm funny. But I'm saying the same things."

Of course I asked him to check out this site when he had a chance and he sat there on his blackberry doing just that for a few minutes.

My friends came up to the table after a while and even they were impressed by how personable and friendly he was to them and everyone else around. Dude just seems so genuinely psyched to be playing for the Wolves.