Sunday, October 22, 2006

Paul Shirley Won't Be A Timberwolf

In a totally unsurprising move, the Wolves announced today that they've released Paul Shirely and Tyrone Ellis from their roster. Including Vin Baker, their roster is now at 15 players. I was really looking forward to seeing what he had to say in blog format about sitting on the bench for most of the season. Hopefully he won't be unemployed for long.


Here are some stories about fans he encountered while playing in Europe:
"People are especially passionate in Greece. When I was first there, it was right before they switched to the Euro, so they had the old... coins. They weighed about four ounces or something, and fans would chuck those at players sometimes. They'd also throw cell phones. They'd reach for whatever was handy.

"I'd also heard tales about people taking chunks of concrete out of the bathroom to throw at the players.

"(In another game), I was leaving the court, I saw a glint of something silver out of the corner of my eye and ducked just in time to miss a liter-and-a-half bottle of water that was full thrown from 15 rows up at my head. It was insane.

"I saw, in a game between two other teams, fans shoot Roman candles across the court.

"It's madness a lot of times. They don't have as many restrictions against what people can do."