Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Letter To Sam Smith

Dear Mr. Smith,
I read your article on KG and couldn't stop stewing about it. It kept me up all night wondering how anyone in their right mind and someone who gets paid to write about sports (judging by all the KG trade rumors you concoct, I don't think you necessarily fall in the former category) could think Garnett has "gotten so comfortable with money and mediocrity" that he no longer wants to win.

My only response is to direct you to this TNT interview with KG that took place before the start of last season. The whole thing is worth watching but if you're short on time, I recommend skipping to minute 4, right before they have to stop rolling tape because the Ticket has started to cry. Then, either watch the rest or skip to minute 9 when Garnett discusses how much he hates to lose. No matter how many times I've seen this clip, it's still very difficult not to shed at least a couple tears when watching it. It also makes it impossible to think that KG has anything less than a strong desire and need to win

I know it's the offseason and there's not much going on now that Al Harrington has found a team besides WCOB, but to suggest about a championship that "we want it more than he does" is completely absurd.

Sincerely,
Dice

Correction: I guess the interview took place during the season and not before last season.