Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mike James Deal

According to ESPN, the deal reached between Mike James and the Wolves is worth $25 million and the team's "four-year pitch includes the ability to become a free agent after year three and a trade kicker, which pays him a bonus if he is dealt by the Wolves."

"I had to have two things; only one team gave them to me," James said. "Everyone gave me the same amount of money. I specifically asked for a player option on my third year and a trade kicker, and (the Rockets) said no. I had to have those two things. After what they put me through, I couldn't sign with them without those things."

The Wolves plan to use their full mid-level exception in the agreement. That and the fact that yet another point guard is about to be added to the roster make the chances of Marcus Banks being re-signed very minimal.

At the very least this move should appease KG who wanted a veteran and even placed a call to James today to persuade him to come here.

"They had a great conversation and that meant a lot to Mike," James' agent, Bill Duffy, said. "Garnett told him he needed him there. That says a lot about Garnett to do that and it says a lot about Mike that Garnett wanted him."