Monday, June 05, 2006

McHale Updates

Steve Aschburner interviews McHale
Q When other GMs call up and ask about Garnett, how do you respond?
A We're not trading Kevin Garnett.
Q You say that before you hear what they're offering?
A Well, yeah, because the teams that would call up have nothing I would trade him for anyway. We're not going to trade Kevin Garnett.


Q When you fired Flip Saunders, one of the reasons cited was that a coach can wear out his message over an extended stay. Can a GM?
A I think so. That's why I've got to look at it and see, if new blood and new ideas come in, if it's time to step down. My competitiveness is, we're close enough. But I have no problem, when the time comes, in going to [owner Glen Taylor] and saying, "This isn't working. It's time for you to make a change."
If I felt that, I would leave.


The Boston Herald does a "Where Are They Now" piece on former Celtics:
KEVIN McHALE - Once considered the greatest post scorer in the game, McHale returned to his native Minnesota shortly after retirement to take over basketball operations with the Timberwolves. He oversaw development of one of the game’s biggest stars - Kevin Garnett - but 11 years at the helm may be wearing him down. McHale recently blamed this season’s collapse on himself.


The Pioneer Press poses some non-basketball related questions to McHale.
You make choices,and then you stick with them, and it doesn't always work out the way you'd like. I very seldom make just willy-nilly choices. I think about things quite a bit, and then I do it. Hopefully it works. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.