Sunday, April 02, 2006

Timberwolves Over The Weekend

The Wolves won in overtime against Golden State at the Target Center on Sunday afternoon. It may have had something to do with the fact that their dressing room "pulsed with the sounds of hip-hop music" before the game.

In response to the team going from being the league's 9th worst team to its 10th worst with today's win and the effect that could have on their draft pick, Garnett said:
"I'm not going to give up any games," Kevin Garnett said. "If they want to go in that direction, they need to come talk to me. As long as I'm on the floor, I'm trying to win the game.
"... I'm a player. I don't work upstairs, I don't sign papers, I don't type, you're not going to catch me in a cubicle. Nothing like that. I'm trying to win some games."


Daily Dime/Marc Stein says the Wolves won't trade KG before next season. He also recalls an interview with Ticket in which he says the things he hates doing the the most are "sleeping and eating."


KG and Coach Casey chatted with Coby Karl, son of Nuggets' coach George Karl, during the Wolves trip to Denver. Coby was Boise State's leading scorer in hoops last season and just underwent surgery after being diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer.


Coach Casey wants free agent Marcus Banks to join Rashad McCants and Bracey Wright in playing for the Wolves in the Las Vegas summer league provided the team can re-sign him.


The Wolves held a players meeting with union representatives to discuss gun safety and pertinent laws governing firearms. A representative from the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office also was on hand.
That may be due to the shooting across the street from the Target Center on Friday night but don't know for sure.


Christian Laettner injured himself at a YMCA court and had to be taken to the hospital to get stitches. The former Timberwolf has been working out "with hopes he might get picked up by a NBA team for the playoff run."


Sam Smith/Chicago Tribune thinks that KG and Allen Iverson would be good together.


Casey on rookie McCants:
"I never thought I'd say this, but he's one of our best defenders behind Trenton [Hassell] right now, as far as having a focus, paying attention to detail on the defensive end," Casey said.


Garnett on Reggie Miller's jersey being retired by the Pacers:
"You never know, man," Garnett said. "That's one of the biggest compliments anyone can give you. It's like you're almost the mascot or the symbol of who you play for. When you think about the Lakers, you think about Magic. When you think about Boston, you think about Bird and McHale. When you think about Chicago, you think about Jordan. And when you think about Indiana, you think about Reggie Miller."


KG on how long he'll be in the NBA:
"I don't know," Garnett said. "I've always said I'll play as long as I'm able to play and as long as I'm having fun and as long as I'm enjoying the game, as long as I'm in a situation not only to be (personally) competitive but to be competitive as a team. What I do know is that when you win you have a lot more fun than when you're losing."