Friday, June 29, 2007

Wolves select Florida's Corey Brewer at #7

After an interminable wait following Milwaukee's pick of Yi Jianlian (which was greeted by a collective sigh of relief at the Wolves draft party), the Minnesota Timberwolves selected the University of Florida's Corey Brewer with the 7th pick in the draft.


Click here for a profile.





"He does a lot of little things," McHale said. "The guy won two championships. There's something to be said for that. Those things just don't fall off trees."


Along with Florida teammates Al Horford and Joakim Noah, Brewer made history by becoming the first trio of college teammates selected in the top 10 of the draft.


From the AP:
One thought sprang into Corey Brewer's mind after being chosen by Minnesota in the first round of Thursday night's NBA draft.

"Hopefully KG's still there," Brewer said.

"I had the KGs when he was with Nike, the first KGs that came out," said Brewer, referring to the shoes. "The blue and they were faded - that was my favorite shoe ever."


From Kent Youngblood/Star Tribune:
"We couldn't be more excited," McHale said during a brief news conference before rushing back to prepare for the second round. "He is a great glue guy, great chemistry, great character. You can't say enough good things about him."

"If we had more picks, we would have took [Al] Horford and [Joakim] Noah, too," McHale said. "We were working on that."

Youngblood writes that McHale was impressed with all four Florida players who worked out for the team and that they "acted like winners."



After being picked, Brewer said, "I really didn't have a good workout with Minnesota, so I didn't know what would happen.


Brewer on returning to Florida last season:
"It was a tough situation for me last year, because my family did need the money," Brewer said. "But I felt like my mom and dad just told me to be happy. I thought I'd be happier and mature more as a player going back to school."


From Jerry Zgoda/Star Tribune:
Brewer wore jersey No. 2 at Florida. That number is retired at Target Center in memory of the late Malik Sealy.

"I was hurt when I saw that No. 2 was retired," he said. "I guess I'll wear 22. Two plus two is 22."